Tuesday, April 28, 2009

4. Didn't see it coming


The Movie: Behind the Mask: The rise of Leslie Vernon


So this is one that had caught my eye a year or so ago but I never bothered with it. Hence why I've gone and taken on this little project. To watch movies that I didn't give a chance .


This one thoroughly surprised.


Last night I watched My Name Is Bruce and was pretty let down. On top of that I had never been overly expectant of Behind the Mask. I needed something to watch so I tossed this one on.

At first the production value of this movie seems low. It seems like a fake documentary. Something along the lines of a Blair Witch or Cloverfield. However, this rapidly changes throughout.



Behind the Mask in short is about a man who wants to become a legendary killer. He has trained all his life and prepared for his big night, the (however many year) anniversary of his "death". He learns basic magic tricks and escape tactics from books and trains physically so he can perform the tasks of a great killer.

A documentary film crew has been commissioned to come along with him to document as he plans his night of death.

At first this movie has the look of a fake documentary. However this changes when Leslie begins to explain how he will perform certain tasks. When he explains the movie kicks into "Real" movie mode, with actual shots, lighting and effects. After awhile I found myself enthralled because I had never seen this film tactic.

If you had asked me halfway through the movie, "What kind of movie is this?". I would have replied "Comedy" like you were retarded or something. This movie is very funny and witty....until the third act.

Not to ruin anything but to sort of let you know what you're in for, the third act takes a complete 180 and becomes a straight horror film. Sure it is a little aware of itself and plays off of Stereotypes but it is clever nonetheless. The documentary cameras go down, the plot devices begin to spring to life and the film takes a new course.

I'd highly recommend this one to any horror fan who's seen tons of slashers. Though its comedy can reach all, it calls upon classic slashers and the stereotypes that come with them to derive some great comedy.

I give this lil nugget a 4 out 5 stars.

Till next time, keep it Metal!
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment