Monday, April 27, 2009

3. The Let Down


The Movie: My Name Is Bruce



So as you might have gathered thus far...I'm a horror fan. Being a horror fan comes with some irrefutable allegiances and one of those is your loyalty to Bruce Campbell.

The Evil Dead films are some of the best in horror (and comedy) period...there's no arguing that, it's science. Bruce played one of the greatest heroes on film in this series. If you don't know who Ash is or you've never seen the Evil Dead series...you seriously need to get out and see some movies.

So this caught my attention not just because Mr. Campbell is in it but he plays himself in a movie that he wrote...and directed. How could we go wrong here?!

The problem is in the fact that I was way to excited for the payload that this movie would deliver. I never thought that maybe this low budget film may not be the movie of my horror film, fan boy dreams.

In this film we meet Bruce Campbell, the real life film star of some golden films from the last few decades such as Maniac Cop, Alien Apocalypse and Bubba Ho-Tep. In a lull in his career where he continues to make rotten B movies, Bruce is kidnapped by a small mining town that is having some demon troubles.

When a Chinese demon (or god...or whatever the hell he is) is released from a mine shaft where he was left to protect the grave of a one hundred Chinese miners, he begins to go on a vengeful killing spree. Bruce is called to action by the town because of the reputation he's gained from being in B movies.

The movie does succeed at poking fun of the Bruce Campbell's career as he is an actor that does not take himself to seriously. Unfortunately a few decent laughs sprinkled throughout the movie can't makeup for the time you feel like you're wasting. Bruce himself is pretty on par because he's acting...well, like himself. Everyone else in the film for the most part falls short of Oscar worthy performances and by short I mean not even frickin close.

The movies production value is all together pretty low. The deaths in the film are pretty generic and unoriginal due to the fact that whoever dies...gets their head lobbed off. Yeah I ruined it. Sorry : (

All in all this movie was a let down for me. Maybe it just wasn't my particular brand of comedy and it just wasn't for me. Also if you are an AVID Bruce fan you most likely will enjoy this movie because it does personify everything Bruce. I like Bruce a lot but not enough to make this one that I'll go back and watch.

I give this little nugget a 2 out of 5 stars.

Till next time, keep it metal!
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment